Diptych

Thursday, April 14, 2005

This Jesus fellow


I've been talking about religion quite a bit, so I decided it would be a proper time to reread the New Testament (since this is a Christian nation, you understand).

I was raised a Christian (Baptist, if you must know), and I've read most of the New Testament straight through, and dipped into the rest in big chunks. I attended Sunday School as a tot, and my mother was the music director at our church. I have a little New Testament with my name engraved on it that was given to me at birth, and a Holy Bible with a handwritten message from my Sunday school teacher. I have a big Family Bible and a Good News Bible. I have my mother's bible and my brother's bible (they both walk with Jesus now).

I have a mental picture of Jesus (admittedly influenced by Another Roadside Attraction), and I subscribe to the notion that all of Creation is an idea in the 'mind' of something unimaginably greater than ourselves. I believe that life is a task, or test of some sort, and that there have been prophets who have refracted allegories of the ineffable into our spacio-temporal playground.

Among my crowd, of course, Jesus is tops - the Son of God and all that. For all my cynicism, there's still something in me that believeth on Him. I certainly want His Truth to Be, because it's a simple, straightforward transaction, if you listen to His sales reps - you just Believe, and that's it: you're in.

I'm all over that in theory, but when I read The Book, I keep stumbling across crap like this every few pages:
Matthew 10:

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Matthew 11:

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
This isn't working for me.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger