Diptych

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Current Events Made Easy

I don't need to tell you how important the "Judeo-Christian Tradition" is in American politics.

You know, for instance, that an avowedly atheist candidate has about as much chance of being elected as a convicted child molester. You know all about Fundamentalist Christians as the Deciders of all our elections now. You know about Left Behind. You may even know about CNN reporting the End of Days as news.

Perhaps, like me, you're dimly aware that the nation of Israel has some of that Old Time Religion too, and that cutting edge American Fundamentalists have almost completely given up referring to Jews as "Christ Killers", and have started enthusiastically supporting Israel's right to kick ass.

I come late to this game, and I admit being very confused by it all. I was raised in a pretty religious environment - a Christian one - but my religious education was cluttered up with Love and Forgiviness and Redemption and all that obsolete crap. Christ, I never even found out that I was supposed to discriminate against Jews till I got to college, and then they were all my professors.

Anyway.

I heard on the news that we're supposed to refer to Ezekiel 38 and 39 to really understand current events in the Middle East. I decided to go back and bone up, so you don't have to.

Here's how it turns out:

Ezekiel 39: (NIV)

17 "Son of man, this is what the Sovereign LORD says: Call out to every kind of bird and all the wild animals: 'Assemble and come together from all around to the sacrifice I am preparing for you, the great sacrifice on the mountains of Israel. There you will eat flesh and drink blood.

18You will eat the flesh of mighty men and drink the blood of the princes of the earth as if they were rams and lambs, goats and bulls—all of them fattened animals from Bashan.

19At the sacrifice I am preparing for you, you will eat fat till you are glutted and drink blood till you are drunk.

20At my table you will eat your fill of horses and riders, mighty men and soldiers of every kind,' declares the Sovereign LORD.

21"I will display my glory among the nations, and all the nations will see the punishment I inflict and the hand I lay upon them.

I thought you should know that.


Comments:
Nice bloke that god person.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger